Wd My Passport 500gb Hard Drive Installation
WD My Passport 500GB is a portable external hard drive with a sleek and elegant design. It comes with the NTFS partition for compatibility with all updated Windows Operating Systems. If you wish to use the WD My Passport hard drive on your Mac, you should reformat it using Disk Utility. For detailed instructions about the WD My Passport 500GB hard drive installation, go through the steps given on this page.
HOW TO SET UP WD MY PASSPORT 500GB HARD DRIVE
To know how to set up WD My Passport 500GB hard drive on your Windows computer, follow these steps.
- Start by connecting the WD My Passport drive to your Windows computer using the supplied USB cable.
- Wait for the hard drive’s power LED to become idle.
- If your computer shows the Found New Hardware screen, click Cancel.
- Next, go to File Explorer and check if your computer has recognized the drive.
- Open the WD drive and double-click the WD Apps Setup file.
- Click Next in the WD Software Installer dialog box.
- Select the Recommended Install option as your installation type and click Next to install all the WD software on your computer.
- After reading Western Digital’s EULA, select the I agree option and click Next.
- Wait until the installation is completed.
- Finally, click Finish to complete the installation.
WD MY PASSPORT 500GB HARD DRIVE DRIVER DOWNLOAD
WD MY PASSPORT 500GB DRIVERS FOR MAC
- On your Mac, open the default browser after ensuring that the Internet connection is stable.
- Go to the official WD site and navigate to the Software & Downloads page.
- Under Software for Mac, expand the WD Drive Utilities for Mac tab.
- Next, click the blue Download button and save the driver to the Applications folder on your Mac.
- Double-click the downloaded setup file and complete the installation.
- Run a diagnostic test to check the connected hard drive.
WD MY PASSPORT 500GB DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
- On your Windows computer, open the default browser and visit the official WD site.
- Go to the Software & Downloads page.
- Click the Software for Windows tab.
- Expand the WD Drive Utilities for Windows tab.
- Click the Download button and save the software to your computer.
- After completing the download, unzip the file into a folder and double-click the setup file to run the installation.
HOW DO I INSTALL WD MY PASSPORT 500GB DRIVERS?
- First, connect your WD My Passport 500GB external hard drive to your Windows computer.
- Next, download the WD Drive Utilities software from the official WD site and save it to your computer.
- After completing the download, click the Open folder button.
- Give a right-click on the WDDriveUtilitiesSetup.zip file and select the Extract All option.
- Click Extract to save the file to the default location.
- Open the extracted file to run the installation.
- Agree to the EULA and click the Install button.
- Click Finish to complete the installation.
- Check if there is a shortcut icon on the desktop. Henceforth, you can access WD Drive Utilities by double-clicking its shortcut icon.
If you are stuck while installing the WD My Passport drivers on your computer, contact us and we will assist you in resolving it.
HOW DO I RECOVER DATA FROM WD MY PASSPORT 500GB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
If you have a backup of your WD My Passport drive, you can restore the files from the WD Backup software. In case you don’t have the backup and wish to recover the deleted files from the drive, use third-party data recovery software. There are several data recovery software, such as Recoverit, EaseUS, and Stellar Info, that supports WD hard drives. To know how to recover the data from your WD My Passport 500GB hard drive using the data recovery software, follow these steps.
- Before starting, download and install the data recovery software on your computer.
- Next, connect the WD My Passport drive to your computer.
- Launch the data recovery software and choose your WD My Passport device from the displayed list.
- Choose the file type you wish to recover and click the Scan button.
- Wait for the scan to get completed.
- Select the files from the scan result.
- Click on Recover and specify a location on your computer to save the files you are going to recover.
- Wait until your files are recovered.
- Access the location you have specified before starting the recovery process.
- Check if the files are completely recovered.
WD MY PASSPORT EXTERNAL 500GB HARD DRIVE WITH CLOUD BACKUP
Configuring the Cloud service account:
- Connect the WD My Passport drive to your computer and launch the WD Backup software.
- Click the Add Backup Plan button to open the Cloud service dialog box.
- Click the Dropbox icon and select Next.
- Under Connect to Dropbox, click the Sign In button to allow WD Backup to access your Dropbox account.
- Sign in to your Dropbox account and check the request from WD Backup software.
- Click Allow to accept the connection request and select Finish to complete the configuration.
Starting the Cloud backup:
- Open the WD Backup software and select the Configure backup option.
- Choose Dropbox from the displayed list and log in to your account.
- Select the configuration of the backup settings on the Setup Complete dialog box.
- You can also schedule an automatic backup.
- Click OK and choose the files you wish to backup.
- Carry out the on-screen instructions and click the Start Backup button to run the backup.
WHY IS MY WD EXTERNAL 500GB HARD DRIVE NOT SHOWING UP?
Is your WD My Passport 500GB external hard drive not showing up on your Windows computer? Then there might be a communication breakdown. Check whether you have properly connected the hard drive to your computer using a standard USB cable. If necessary, you can also connect the hard drive to a different USB port of your computer. If the problem persists, try these troubleshooting steps.
Solution 1: Change the drive letter
- Open the Run dialog box by pressing the Windows + R shortcut keys.
- Enter ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter key to open Disk Management.
- Locate and right-click your WD My Passport drive from the displayed list.
- Select Change Drive Letter and Paths.
- Click on Add to change the drive letter for your WD My Passport drive.
- From the pull-down menu, choose the drive letter that is yet to be occupied.
- Click OK and check if your drive shows up in File Explorer. If the problem remains unsolved, try the next solution.
Solution 2: Reinstall the USB controller
- On your Windows computer, right-click the Start menu at the bottom-left corner of the desktop and select Device Manager.
- Wait until the Device Manager window shows up.
- Navigate to the left-side panel and expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers tab.
- Right-click the controller through which WD My Passport is connected and select the Uninstall device option.
- Reboot your computer and check if your WD My Passport drive has been recognized.
WD DRIVE UTILITIES NOT DETECTING DRIVE
If the WD Drive Utilities software is not detecting your WD hard drive, check if you have connected the drive firmly into your computer’s USB port. Reconnect the WD My Passport drive to your computer and check if it is recognized by the WD Drive Utilities software. If the problem persists, try these solutions.
Solution 1: Reinstall WD Drive Utilities
- Open Control Panel and click the Programs and Features tab.
- Alternatively, click on Uninstall a program below Programs in the Control Panel window.
- Locate and select the WD Drive Utilities software from the list of installed programs on your computer.
- Click the Uninstall button next to Organize to remove the WD Drive Utilities software from your computer.
- If prompted, select Yes to confirm the uninstallation.
- Close the Control Panel and restart your computer.
- Open the default browser and go to the official WD site.
- Search for WD Drive Utilities and click the Download button to get it on your computer.
- Run the downloaded software and complete the installation.
- This will resolve the problem with the WD Drive Utilities software and make your WD My Passport 500GB hard drive show up on your computer.
Here are the 4 top solutions to make sure that the issue never happens again.
- Start by launching the Run dialog box by pressing Windows + R.
- Type ‘services.msc’ in the Run dialog box and hit the Enter key to open Windows Services.
- Locate and double-click the WD Drive Manager service in the Services window. Doing so will open the WD Drive Manager Properties window.
- Check if the Startup type has been set to Automatic.
- Remember to check if the Service status is Running in the properties window.
- Click Apply and then select OK.
- Close the Services window, restart your computer, and check if the problem has been resolved.