Wd My Passport 500gb Hard Drive Installation
The WD My Passport portable external hard drive ensures that your digital life contents are safe. This drive helps you to store, manage, and share your important files from one computer to another easily and securely. It is lightweight and easy to carry. The highlighting features of this external hard drive are listed below.
- Support for WD Backup & password protection (Windows only)
- Ready for use right out of the box
- Easy sync with Chromebook
- Durable and long-term reliable
If you’re struggling to set up your WD My Passport 2 TB hard drive for the first time, then follow the below instructions to perform the same.
- Initially, make sure that your Mac or Windows computer meets the system requirements of the drive.
- Turn on your computer to begin the drive setup.
- Now, connect your WD My Passport drive to the computer using the USB cable that is provided along with the drive.
- Wait for your computer to recognize the connected drive. It may take a few seconds or minutes.
- Once the drive is recognized, a pop-up message with the heading “Found New Hardware” will appear on the screen.
- Click the Cancel button.
- Now, the WD drive will automatically install the necessary driver on your computer.
- Once the driver installation is completed, the drive is ready to use.
- To increase the capability and use the advanced features of the drive, install the WD Discovery software on your computer.
- Open the WD Discovery.exe or WD Discovery.dmg file available inside the drive.
- Click on the button named Install Now to install the WD Software such as WD Backup, WD Drive Utilities, and WD Security on your computer.
- Once the WD Discovery software is installed, you can use the advanced features of your drive.
- If you don't have an active internet connection, then use the WD Software’s Offline installer to install the necessary software on your computer.
- To use it, open the WD Software Offline Installers file on your Windows or Mac computer and install it.
Once installed, you can use the WD Software such as WD Backup and WD Drive Utilities.
WD MY PASSPORT 2TB HARD DRIVE DRIVER DOWNLOAD
WD My Passport comes with the WD Discovery software. When the drive is connected to your computer, the necessary software is installed automatically. However, to use the advanced features of the drive, install the WD Discovery software on your computer.
WD MY PASSPORT 2TB DRIVERS FOR MAC
The WD Drive Utilities for Mac allows you to configure, diagnose, and manage your WD My Passport 2 TB drive. You can install this utility from the WD Discovery.dmg file.
WD MY PASSPORT 2TB DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS
The WD My Passport drive software available for Windows are WD Backup, WD Security, and WD Drive Utilities. These applications can be installed on your computer via WD Discovery.exe.
HOW DO I INSTALL WD MY PASSPORT 2TB DRIVERS?
To install the WD My Passport 2 TB drivers on your Windows or Mac computer, follow the below instructions.
- Initially, make sure that the WD drive is connected to your computer.
- Now, open the drive folder.
- Click on the WD Discovery.exe or WD Discovery.dmg file followed by the Install Now button.
- Install the WD Discovery software on your computer by following the on-screen instructions.
- Once the software is installed, a list of WD device(s) connected to your computer will be displayed in the Devices tab.
- To use the WD apps such as WD Backup, WD Drive Utilities, and WD Security, go to the Apps tab of the WD Discovery dialog box.
HOW DO I RECOVER DATA FROM WD MY PASSPORT 2TB EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE?
Have you lost the data from your WD My Passport drive? Then, follow the below instructions to recover it.
You can use an external hard drive data recovery software to recover the deleted or lost data from your WD My Passport drive. There are many recovery applications for WD drive are available in the market. The following instructions explain how to recover from the WD drive using the EaseUS Data Recovery software.
- Initially, install the EaseUS Data Recovery software on your computer if you haven’t installed it yet.
- Similarly, connect the drive to your computer.
- Now, launch the EaseUS Data Recovery software.
- Choose the WD drive in the Select a location to start recovering window.
- Click on the Scan or Scan Now button.
- Once the data scanning is completed, a list of files that can be recovered will be displayed on the screen.
- Select the files or images that you wish to recover and click on the Recover button.
- When prompted, choose or create a folder to save the file.
- Click on the OK button.
- Now, the selected files will be recovered.
WD EXTERNAL 2TB HARD DRIVE WITH CLOUD BACKUP
The WD My Passport 2 TB external hard drive comes with a cloud backup service. However, to use this service, initially, you need to configure your account for it. The below section explains the same.
- Initially, make sure that you have installed the WD Discovery application on your computer.
- Now, open the WD Discovery app and go to the Apps tab.
- Click on the Open button beside the WD Backup software.
- Now, click on the Add Backup Plan or Configure backup option.
- In the WD Backup window, select your WD drive that is connected to your computer and click Next.
- Click Sign in.
- Carry out the on-screen instructions to complete the WD Backup configuration.
- Once the Setup Complete! message is displayed on the screen, you can initiate the cloud backup.
WHY IS MY WD EXTERNAL 2TB HARD DRIVE NOT SHOWING UP?
If your WD drive is not showing up on your computer, then try the following solutions to make it recognizable.
- Initially, check whether your WD drive is connected securely to the computer. If not, connect it properly.
- Make sure that your Windows or Mac computer meets the system requirements of the drive.
- If you’re a Windows user, then check whether the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option is enabled on your computer. If yes, deselect it.
- To check and deselect this option, open the Device Manager window on your computer. Click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers (USB Controller) option.
Select your WD drive. Now, right-click on the drive and click Properties. In the Power Management window, deselect the Allow the computer turn off this device save power option if selected.
- Now, restart your Windows computer and check if the WD drive shows up. If not, try the next instruction given below.
- Unplug and reconnect the drive to your computer.
- Try to connect the drive to the different USB ports of your computer.
- Update your computer OS if available.
- If the drive is not showing up even after performing the above instructions, then check whether its hardware is damaged.
- Contact your WD dealer or manufacture if you find the drive’s hardware to be damaged.
WD DRIVE UTILITIES NOT DETECTING DRIVE
If the WD Drive Utilities doesn’t detect your drive, then perform the simple troubleshooting instructions given below to fix it.
- As the first step of troubleshooting, check whether your WD drive is detected by your Windows or Mac computer.
- If not, perform the necessary steps to make the drive detectable by your computer.
- Make sure that WD Drive Utilities is installed properly on your computer.
- Check if the WD Drive Utilities Service is enabled on your computer. If not, enable it.
- To do so, follow the below instructions.
- Open the Run application.
- Type the command services.msc and tap Enter.
- Now, in the opened window, locate and double-click on the WD Drive Manager option to open its Properties dialog box.
- Choose the Automatic option from the Startup type drop-down menu. Click the Apply button followed by OK.
- Now, check if your WD drive is detected by WD Drive Utilities. If not, contact us to get remote assistance in resolving the same.